GA COMMISSION ON WOMEN
GA OSTEOPOROSIS INITIATIVE
Each Region has a Chair, a Commission on Women liaison, legislative representation, chronic disease coordinators,
health professionals, and local grassroots leaders. For information, call (404) 657-9260.
EVERY 20 SECONDS OSTEOPOROSIS CAUSES A FRACTURE!
In Georgia there are over 700,000 individuals with osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis is a "silent disease" that may NOT have any symptoms until a fracture occurs. 75 Georgia citizens are sustaining fractures each day at a cost
of $1 million/day. This bone-thinning disease in NOT inevitable-IT IS PREVENTABLE.
The purpose of the Georgia Osteoporosis Initiative (GOI) is as follows:
- To secure funding to increase awareness of osteoporosis in all age citizens.
- To develop a strategic plan for primary and secondary prevention of osteoporosis in all age groups.
- To form public/private partnerships for education, screening, prevention and treatment efforts across the state of Georgia.
- To influence public policy and legislation that will reduce the incidence of osteoporosis.
- To develop a web site to link current information resources, organizations and events related to osteoporosis.